This dream was most likely influenced by a particular author, HP Lovecraft, I'd been reading a lot of at the time. Most of his stories are of the science-fiction/horror genre, and it's all pretty strange, nihilistic stuff. His most prominent theme is that humans are nothing more than a speck in the universe and there are ancient (sometimes giant) aliens out in the universe that views us as nothing more than play things.
My dream started out as me walking around late at night in the streets of Salem, MA. It wasn't really night or day, but there was a misty fog that really didn't let me see much. I don't know why I knew I was in Salem, but I just knew. Eventually, every step I took was a step into the air, like I was climbing stairs but there was nothing under me. I didn't seem to mind in the dream, so I kept "walking". Eventually I reached a single door in the air, but there was nothing behind it and it didn't seem to really lead anywhere. Turning the handle just made the door bigger. The more I turned, the bigger the door got until I really couldn't reach the handle anymore. Eventually the door opened by itself and there was an ocean on the other side, which I fell into and drowned.
How's that for weird?
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Salem has to do with witches, something strange, mysterious, *unknown*. If it wasn't night or day, this means that this isn't an actual in-the-world location, rather, it is a conscious state of being, which is also a pervasive mood. It is foggy which means that you can't see, that is, you're having difficulty getting out of this state of consciousness and this mood it creates.
ReplyDeleteEvery step you take, that is, every attempt you make, to get yourself out of the mood, the state of consciousness, is not helping. You're walking on air, which may suggest the abstract. Part of you reacts well, that part doesn't mind this state -- this is most likely your conscious self. The fact that you're trying to get out, however, is the unconscious key to the dream, this is what the other part, the part that doesn't mind--your consciousness, your *ego*--doesn't see.
The single door is your world-view. Possibly, using reversal, door can actually be seen as rood. This all depends on whether you are rude or not in real life, something you'll have to self-examine.
I'll stick to the door representing the world view for now, what that world view is you know best. 'Turning the handle,' that is, the more you think about it, the more pervasive the view becomes, the more encompassing of everything around you. The bigger this world view becomes, the smaller you get, the more enclosed you become. The more isolated you are, as the ego is trapped. It is significant that you are alone in your dream; the absence of other people is crucial; this is a latent element. The bigger this world view gets, whatever it is, philosophy, aka, nihilism, etc., the harder it is for you to get out.
The ocean isn't on the other side, there is no other side. When one becomes so enclosed, so small within an isolated consciousness, with this huge wall built around it, one is already drowning. I know this because I've been there. The door opening by itself is your unconscious desire to show your ego, its isolation in this strange, foreign state: Salem, MA. It's very solipsistic my friend. :/
Your belief by the way, that there are no meaning to dreams, or the impossibility of dream analysis, is indicative of your world view: your nihlism.
Well, that was my attempt. Then again, maybe outside is ocean, and an enclosed ego will drown in it, as the outside world swallows it. My guess is this is about an ego afraid to lose itself.
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, and just thought of this, turning the knob, that's circular . . . kind of like philosophizing.
That'll be $240.00, checks are acceptable.
ReplyDelete