Wednesday, April 1, 2009
When reading the article “Out of South Africa” from The New York Times, I’ve noticed the racism J.M.Coetzee had put into the novel “Disgrace” which I didn’t paid much attention to as I was reading the novel, so racism didn’t come to mind till today. I guess it’s because the novel “Disgrace” is not as racist compare to the article we have read previously from Conrad “Heart of Darkness”, but Coetzee definitely put racist factors into the novel. It was mentioned in the article of “Out of South Africa”, it says “the white women will have to sleep with the barbaric black men.” In this statement, he had made it clear that he used the term “barbaric” to depict the black men. From the novel “Disgrace”, David says “She does not reply. She would rather hide her face, and he knows why. Because of the disgrace. Because of the shame” (Coetzee, 115). This statement was from when David asked Lucy if she was going to go to the market, but Lucy says no, and from what David says, it’s because of the disgrace and shame. He could have meant the disgrace/shame of Lucy getting raped by black people. Also after David was living with his daughter Lucy, there were constant descriptions of them walking the animal, feeding the animals, and when the dog was killed from the incident of the robbery, David was the one who actually buried the dog. It seems to me that they almost treated the animals more important than the black people. So I believe that this novel involves racism although it didn’t come as strong as it did in “Heart of Darkness”, but there are definitely racist factors running through the novel here and there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment