Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Rascism in Disgrace????

Racism to me didn’t appear in the book until the discussion about South Africa and its vestiges on Tuesday. After that and after he article “Out of South Africa” from The New York Times, I noticed the racism in the novel “Disgrace” which I didn’t paid much attention to. That is because i don't think the author of the article hadn't much of an arguement. (So what if he moved out of South Africa?)“Disgrace” did not seem to be as racist compared to the article from Conrad “Heart of Darkness” and so I don’t believe it is a racist book.
Within the book the author is careful when describing everybody. (Most likely Coetzee is aware of the response to Conrad 's book so why would he want to do that? )He mostly passes his judgment on women like his daughter’s homely look or Bev Shaw’s unattractiveness. When talking about men like Petrus, he describes his hardworker look. Before the actual robbery occurred in the book he describes one of the men saying,”The taller of them is handsome, strikingly handsome.” Only after the incident does he describe them otherwise. I would too if they did that to my child. So, what is racist about that? What is racist about describing everyone in the book according to their relationship to him or how he perceives them.

No comments:

Post a Comment