Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Disgrace versus Racsim

When reading the article Out of Africa one can clearly see that there is a a strong sense of racism in the words of the writer. When the writer speaks of Africa and its people you can get a sense of him emphasizing on what the black men's personality are. He says "Zackie Achmat, an HIV-positive gay Muslim man of Indian extraction and ANC member," he writes of the man being HIV-positive which I don't think is relevant at all in this piece. There is automatically an emphases on the guy being gay and HIV- positive, knowing that Africa has the largest population of HIV infected people, I would think it is kind of stupid to bring up that the man is gay or HIV-positive just because he is from Africa.
Disgrace was taking place at the time this article was written and from what we have read so far I seem to get that David Laurie seems to be very distant and act very weirdly towards men. He constantly questions if he would do this or that for a Bill Shaw, who helps him from the hospital. Also since this is taking place in Africa I would this the who situation with him and Melanie can be seen as something of racism. I feel that Melanie gave up to this professor not because she was interested in him but because she saw him as a white man with authority over her. Since this was when the apartheid was taking place she felt that he had power over her and if she didn't give up to him he might have failed her in the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment