Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Disgrace as Racist

After reading the article written about Coetzee and whether or not he wrote the book with racist intent or over tones, I feel that the book is not racist. I feel that the although the black men and people in the novel are not described and "fleshed" like the white people are, I don't think that it is because of race, I think its because they are seen as the bad guys. They broke in and they harmed Lucy and David, and perhaps that is why they are not given faces, they are just described as enemys. Coetzee describes the trio only as the short man, or the tall man, or the handsome man, and does not give them too much detail as a person. If the novel was written from a negative and racist point of view I dont think that he would have written about the one man as "the tall handsome man." He would have just described him with adjectives that did not flatter him and made him seem barbaric and used negative words to describe him and his partners. After the incident, Petrus did not ask how Lucy or her father was, all he did was ask if she was going to be going to the market that day, which seems a bit odd considering that he has known her and worked with her for around a year. You would think that he would care a little bit more and show some remorse but he did not. He says "'Yes,' says Petrus, 'I heard. It is very bad, a very bad thing. But you are all right now." He just assumes that everything is okay, by him not caring it seems like he might have something to do with it, or in fact be harboring one of the culprits which later he is suspected of doing. I don't think that the fact that they suspect him as being in on it, or helping one of the three out is because he is black, but is simply because of the way that he acts towards them after the incident, with no sympathy or emapthy for the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment