Monday, February 9, 2009

One of the discussions we had in class was talking about how people fit themselves into the category of girls wear pink and boys wear blue. This is kind of like what Chandler and Fish is talking about in their articles. It almost seems natural that people associate gender with color. What I’m trying to explain is that where do we find the meaning behind these fixation. How and who gives the green the meaning behind it? Like what was discussed green was related to envy and people are subconscious about it. What determines why a male should follow certain etiquette or a woman be accustom to certain mannerism. These objects are place into these values that give that meaning and people live their lives. From a personal point of view, when I first came from china the first thing I notice was the mannerism that Americans upheld. Whenever I sneezed someone would always say God bless you. God bless you is not a term that is used in china, and I question why people say it. I guess it’s a certain mannerism that people in America use in relations with sneezing. It’s categorized within an institution, America, which is character.
Like another example of how things and events are associated and categorized would the Ok gesture. The ok gesture in America is used in a positive manner however in other countries the Ok gesture can have a negative meaning. I’m not sure which countries but what is being explained is that this Ok gesture is categorized in a positive category in this country, but in others can be place in a negative category. Fish stated “It is not that the presence of poetic qualities compels a certain kind of attention but that the paying of a certain kind of attention results in the emergence of poetic qualities.” (By Fish). Both Fish and Chandler have the same approach on genres, and what Fish stated above was reflected to Chandler’s idea. Everyone has different point of view on everything that’s out there, no matter it’s a movie or something you have read, one person may think that a book is a good book while the other may think that it’s a horrible book. In Eagleton’s writing, she explained that a writer may have their own unique way of writing however people might critique their writings negatively. The criticism leads to a change of style, and they will be placed into a category of “good” and “bad”. Overall, this is all depending on how people decide to approach it, and there is no right or wrong answer when evaluating objects or events.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you term America to be an "institution." Before reading this I had never thought of America in that way, but now I see how it is like that -- how culture itself is intituitionalized within the individual. That's pretty cool. But I'm a little lost on the character part.

    ReplyDelete