Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Murder in Manhattan

The day had started out like any other; I had just gotten my coffee and had taken the first sip, the one that always burns my tongue. I walked down the block to 47th street where my detail as a foot detective usually has me placed. It’s my job to watch, detect, and protect the street to the best of my abilities. It’s usually quiet here, nothing more than an ordinary petty theft or robbery. I didn’t hear a sound, but as I walked down the block I saw a crowed of people screaming. It didn't take to long for me to figure out why the fat man had been hanging over the railing of the entrance to the subway station. There was blood everywhere. People screaming in fear for what had just taken place in front of their very eyes. It was bloody murder in midtown Manhattan, in bright daylight.

I grabbed the screaming lady standing next to me and asked her to calm down and speak to me. I flashed her my badge and she started to subside. What was the use she didn't speak any English. All she could do is burst out in screaming and point. It took not more than a minute to find a Russian to stand in and translate for her. “He went down, down there, in the subway.” What do you expect, I didn’t get to drink my coffee yet, and just realized as to what she was pointing at. The man who did this ran down the Subway. I ran as fast as I could. Pushing everyone in site. I called for backup and told them they needed to halt and shut down all BDFV subway trains and that I had no time to explain. Thankfully, the dispatcher responded 10-4. I tried to stay calm for a minute figure out what my next move was going to be. But before I knew it, a man jumped off the platform onto the tracks.
Suddenly it was World War II and I was a assassin once again, I decided to let the hunter become the hunted. I gave the guy a one-minute head start before I started to tail him. Slowly I crept and followed the suspect through the wet tunnels of Manhattans subway lines. The guy didn’t look like he was in a rush to get anywhere. The guy was a real expert. He had a destination. He knew where he was going and he had done this before.
The suspect had gotten to his destination and finally was going up a manhole. He seems so calm and confident. But my prey did not know that I was very close behind. If it were war this guy would have been dead. But in the streets where we leave justice to the judges we do things differently. I took at my NYPD issued Tazer and took the tall bastard down, put him in cuffs and set off my GPS beacon to have the boys in blue come and back me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment